Monday, January 13, 2014

Summer food - lamb koftas

It's always amazing to me how differently we eat in summer to winter. It's not just what's in season, which of course has an impact, but it's also what looks good to us.
 
Soup in the middle of a heatwave? Not so appealing.
 
Here are a few things we've had this last week or so - Asparagus Tart. To me this is summer on a plate.
 
Caprese salad - the Italians sure know a thing or two about food and there's a reason this dish is a summer classic.
 
Hummus - this is actually a white bean hummus because I was out of chick peas. It was super yummy and I think less work for my poor old food processor than grinding chick peas. I made this to take on a picnic. And I ended up with two tubs worth so I kept one for later. I had some dukkah so I sprinkled some on top. Those sprinkled dips are very popular now in the deli and supermarket.
 
 
Finally last night we had lamb koftas. This was a great way to use up the rest of the hummus. I also made some tabbouli to have with them and we wrapped them in Lebanese bread with homemade tzaziki.
 
Lamb koftas
700g of lamb mince
1 1/2 teaspoons oregano
1 egg
dash of tomato sauce
zest and juice of half a lemon
1 garlic clove, crushed.
8 bamboo skewers (soaked)
 
1. Combine above and mix together really well (You do need to use your hands. If you're squeamish wear disposable gloves).
2. Form lamb into sausage shapes and shape around bamboo skewers.
3. BBQ or grill until done.
4. Enjoy on their own with tzazkiki or like we did in Lebanese bread with salad.
 

 


2 comments: