Thursday, August 29, 2013

Super simple onion rings

Ok so I confess onion rings would appear reasonably high on the "fried foods I shouldn't eat" list for me.
 
I'm not that big on hot chips or French fries but I do love an onion ring...I also adore a potato scallop but thank goodness I've never been tempted to make my own.
 
Now onion rings may not be super good for you but they are pretty simple to make and they are very inexpensive as well. If you're having a group of people they're a great side dish with burgers or even as a snack with a drink.
 
These ones aren't battered just dusted in flour so they are a little bit healthier.
 
Simple Onion Rings
 
3 large onions, sliced, rings separated.
1 cup milk
1 cup flour
s&p
1 teaspoon of paprika
 
1. Soak sliced onions in milk for about 30 minutes. (Longer won't hurt). This step takes the bit out of the onion so they get that slightly sweet flavour.



 
2. Heat oil in a pan, or a deep fryer till hot. (We used canola oil in a saucepan)
 
3. Meanwhile combine flour, S&P and paprika in a bowl.
 
4. Drain the onion slices and drench in flour.
 
5. Cook in batches in the hot oil until golden.
 
 
6.  Drain on absorbent paper. Season to taste.
 
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment