Saturday, March 17, 2012

Take a bag of carrots...


Last week at my local fruit shop two bags of carrots cost $1.50. That's a bargain and so of course I bought two. There are only three of us here and we've hardly all been home on the same night at the same time to even eat a decent meal.

So on this lazy Sunday I decided it was time to turn these carrots into something.

Firstly I decided to make this Banana-Carrot Cake which is a lunch box staple here.
http://mysydneykitchen.blogspot.com.au/2011/11/healthy-lunch-box-treat.html

Then I made a nice batch Carrot Soup. I love carrot soup. It's warming and hearty but somehow doesn't feel as heavy as Pumpkin Soup.

It's a very basic recipe and you can adapt it to your needs. I use cream in mine but you could use milk or soy milk or even coconut milk or if you were on a diet water and coconut milk powder. Again I use basic mixed herbs but you could use curry powder and ginger instead for a more exotic flavour.

Carrot Soup

1 onion diced
3 rashers of bacon diced
2 cups chicken stock
1 teaspoon mixed herbs
750g of carrots or about 3/4 bag, sliced.
1/2 cup cream.
oil to cook.

1. Heat oil in saucepan and add onion. Cook until translucent. Add bacon and cook till soft, about 2 minutes.
2. Add herbs and sliced carrots. Toss till carrots coated. Add chicken stock and simmer until carrots cooked, around 20-25 minutes.
3. Use a stick blender and process until smooth. Add 1/2 cup of cream and combine.

Serves 4.

I plan to freeze mine, hence the not so attractive plastic container.

I grated too many carrots so I have some in the fridge to add to some spaghetti sauce in the next day or so but that's the bag gone and for 75c I feel like I got got great bang for my buck.

1 comment:

  1. I am going to have to try carrot soup, I love carrots and they are so healthy

    ReplyDelete