Friday, February 3, 2012

The multi-purpose zucchini slice

The Internet, at least the Australian corner of it, is full of recipes for zucchini slice. I have been making this one on and off since I saw it in a copy of Delicious magazine in 2003. That's quite a long time.

http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/5546/zucchini+slice

I made on on Thursday night as I had to take finger food to drinks at the school and as I wasn't even staying for the event (long not so interesting story) I really didn't want to spend a whole lot of time or money in the process.

So I took about 1/3 of the slice, cut it into squares and topped it with a little sour cream and chopped parsley. It looked good and tasted great.

This is the ingenious way my lovely husband covered it so the sour cream wouldn't stick to the cling wrap. He put a styrofoam cup in the centre of the plate and made a little tent. A square of slice is hiding under the cup.Very creative.You could use a child's plastic cup instead of course.



There was enough slice left for my husband and daughter to have a snack that night. The next day I put some in her lunchbox and my husband had the rest on a roll like an Italian frittata for lunch. That's not bad going for a recipe that costs about $3 to make.

Here are some variations on the theme:
- substitute smoked salmon for the bacon for a slightly posher version
- leave meat out all together for a vegetarian option
- switch grated zucchini for frozen spinach or leftover cooked broccoli

This is a very simple dish that is high in flavour and protein and easy on the pocket. Try it.

No comments:

Post a Comment