Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Cornbread

In Australia we don't really eat cornbread. In fact we don't do much with cornmeal or polenta either. Obviously that's not isn't true in other parts of the world.

Americans love their cornbread. Apparently different parts of the country like different sorts. Some are sweet and some are not, sometimes it's laden with chili and sometimes not. You can cook it in a skillet or in a baking dish. I think it's a bit like making a potato bake. Every family has their own version.

This is the version I have made for years. I adapted it from a US cookbook I was given in the very early 1990's, which makes us both sound old. It does contain sugar and also creamed corn. It's great as cornbread and also makes yummy cornmeal muffins. It freezes well in either form. I have used the leftovers for cornmeal stuffing for a whole turkey which is another American dish.

We tend to eat cornbread with mainly three dishes - oven friend chicken, which I also serve with coleslaw, chili which we sever fully loaded (topped with sour cream, chopped tomato, guacamole, grated cheese etc) and sometimes if I have it in the freezer we also have it with ribs.

I forgot to take a picture last night...

Cornbread
1 cup butter
1 cup sugar (I use raw)
4 eggs
1 large tin creamed corn
1 cup grated tasty cheese
1 cup flour sifted
1 cup cornmeal sifted
4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt.

1. Cream butter and sugar. Add eggs one at a time (it can look a bit curdled at this point but don't worry it's fine). (You can add a tin or chilis now or some chopped jarred jalapenos if you like).
2. Add cheese, creamed corn and mix well.
Sift together dry ingredients and add to wet mix. Stir to combine.
3. Pour into greased baking dish or muffin tins or papers. (I use a Pyrex baking dish.)
4 Bake in moderately hot oven 1 hour.
5. Serve warm.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment