Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Take one chicken...

One of my goals this year is to reduce waste in mysydneykitchen. This of course makes good economic sense but I also read some incredibly alarming statistic recently about the amount of food Australians throw away as scraps and rubbish, mainly due to mismanagement. I am going to say it was 20%, off the top of my head, but I suspect it was a higher figure than that read.

So my lovely husband was making paella for dinner. This is one of his specialities and we gave him a new paella pan for Christmas to encourage him to make it often.

He needed some bone in chicken pieces so we took a chicken and he removed the wings, thigh and lefts to put in the paella. I must say it came out very well. He used mussels this time which I am not a huge fan of generally but they were very nice in this dish.

We then removed the breasts from the chicken and I poached those with some dill and bay leaves. We will  use the chicken in sandwiches over the next day or so.

Finally I took the frame and popped it in the slow cooker with some herbs, carrot, celery and water to make some chicken stock.

Now we have a fresh batch of stock to use next time we have paella or perhaps in our next risotto. We could use it in soup of course but we're not really having soup weather right now in Sydney, still we'll be ready if we need to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment